[TriLUG] Suggestions for mail hosting.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 02:51:35 EDT 2007

Brian Daniels wrote:
> Anyone with experience in third-party email hosting?  Places like pobox.com and
> similar?
>
> Bellsouth's (now AT&T) mail servers have been annoyingly flaky for a month or
> so, delaying messages hours or even days, returning messages unsent after three
> days, etc.  So, I'm looking for somewhere that can host my email, letting me
> pick it up via POP3.  It needs to be an actual host, not just a redirector, as
> redirecting to my BS account wouldn't help in this case.
>
> I don't want to use gmail/hotmail, because I don't trust either company enough.
> I don't mind paying a reasonable (<$100) yearly cost.  Running my own server is
> out, violates TOS and they port block.
>
> I've found pobox.com and a few others, but I'd like some reviews before I go to
> the hassle of changing my email address.

I've used pobox.com's redirection service for over 10 years now.  It's
surprising that something has been around that long in the Internet but
it's true!  (I remember I got the account when Mindspring bought out
NandO.Net's ISP service, which I just checked and was in 1996.)

At any rate I've never used the "Mailstore" service, only mail
redirection, but I've found their customer-service absolutely
first-rate.  I had a problem once with mail not being forwarded from a
distribution list, and when I filed a ticket they had identified the
problem, corrected it within hours, and gave me access to technical
details about it if I wanted - great service.  Their spam-protection
service is also pretty good, catching about 80-90% of the spam I get.

Assuming their customer service carries over to their IMAP service (why
would you use POP3?  That's so 20th century!), I am sure they'd be fine.

--Jeremy