[TriLUG] [OT] long range WAPs

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:07:46 EDT 2007

1000' shouldn't be a problem though I would suggest going with an amplifier
out of the gate rather then a high(er) gain antenna and no amp.

As for amps I've had great success with Luxux almps.  Get a wrt54gl unit and
flash it with OpenWRT.  Telnet into the box then set you "lan_dns" to
whatever your lan dns server is then run 'ipkg update'.  That will download
package headers to the unit.  Once that is done install the 'wl' package
(ipkg install wl).  Once that is done cd to /etc/init.d and create a
networking script (mine are all S61network).  Set the transmit and recieve
antenna to the primary (wl txant 0, wl antdiv 0) and *DROP* the power to 20
mw (wl txpwr 20).  Once you are done with that hook up the antenna and
amplifier to the antenna closest to the power plug and you are off to the
races.

Check out Fleeman, Anderson, and Bird for good prices on antennas, LMR 400
antenna cables, and amps.

http://www.fab-corp.com/