[TriLUG] [OT] long range WAPs

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Apr 23 10:34:01 EDT 2007

Greg Brown wrote:
> 1000' shouldn't be a problem though I would suggest going with an amplifier
> out of the gate rather then a high(er) gain antenna and no amp.

Before messing around with amplifying 802.11, you might want to ping
your local ham radio club and ask for some guidance.  It would be very
easy to exceed legal limits with a combination of amplifier and antenna,
and your signal will end up unnecessarily stepping all over other people
who are working within legal limits.

There is a subset of the amateur radio community, also, that takes great
pleasure in "fox hunting" ... in other words, they notice someone is
operating a WAP waaaay too hot, hunt it down, and file a very detailed
complaint with the FCC against you.

Better to run into hams the friendly way. :)