[TriLUG] "Eco-Friendly" Open Source business idea

Kevin Jones mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 10:20:26 EDT 2007

I am looking for anyone interested in helping me to expand a business concept that I have been developing for several months which involves promoting open source software in the small to medium-sized business (SMB) market. It's a pretty simple concept actually, and I am still trying to find (mostly technical) reasons why it *can't* work, but I have been unable to do so.

What I need:
- Individual(s) willing to offer their support (development, ideas, criticism, etc.) of the concept itself. Particularly individuals with a background in virtualization technologies (including hardware platforms with an emphasis on open source virtualization platforms and technologies such as rPath, OpenVZ, XenSource, Solaris Zones, etc.) and the SMB market.
- Individuals with contacts to venture capital and/or potential grant money for development of "eco-friendly", educational, and/or open source business ideas.
- The potential market for this product is global and would include SMB's as well as educational institutions (and pretty much anyone who could benefit from OS software...i.e., pretty much anyone).

What you get:
- Time spent on a new concept which could change the way people think about their IT infrastructure.
- The potential of being part of a start-up that is aimed squarely at pushing open source software in to mainstream use and promoting a healthy and vibrant (as in economically-viable, development-oriented, and free flowing...the way IT *should* be!) open source community.

Kevin