[TriLUG] New system configuration thoughts

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Tue May 1 21:55:44 EDT 2007

> Any holes in this method?  I've been thinking about raid
> mirroring, but it seems like overkill.

Remember, "RAID" does not mean "backup".

RAID is for high availability.  Backups are for recovering lost files
(due to hardware failure, stupid user error, etc).

Alan

Yeah, I don't get this.  I understand the whole machine could fry and
I'd lose data, but wouldn't RAID 1 be more useful than not backing up to
a second disk.  Fires or total meltdowns seem much less common than
filesystem errors or such that would lead to 1 drive becoming
unreadable.  I have a system to periodically take a firewire drive home,
rsync to it, and take it back to work for off-site backup.  In this
situation, wouldn't RAID 1 be better than the occasional rsync from sda1
to sdbx?  I mean, isn't RAID 1 an on-line backup?  Would rsync be better?

Thanks very much for the food for thought,
Jim
---Jim Tuttle