[TriLUG] New system configuration thoughts

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 22:39:37 EDT 2007

>From professional experience, users will be the cause of having a "backup"
copy of the data.  Deleting files accidentally is a common occurrence.  So
if you are running a RAID 1 the physical drive is the only thing thats
backed up,  If your machine take a large power strike, flood, or gets
knocked over while running you will lose both drives.  Disks are cheap
enough to throw in a really old server and rsync daily.  And after rsync
runs the first time, your rsync will be really quick since it only backs
up the files that have changed since the last backup.  Ideally, you would
want a raid 1 with off-site rsync back, and since rsync uses ssh the data
is encrypted.
cgb