[TriLUG] This date in history...

Ian Meyer ianmeyer at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:09:32 EDT 2007

However, Dell does not simply pay royalties for each DVD-decoding
machine they ship. Windows doesn't even include DVD-playing software.
Dell has to purchase copies of something like WinDVD or another 3rd
party DVD player to bundle with Windows for DVD playback.

The closest it looks like legal DVD playback has come to Linux is
Intervideo's LinDVD (they're the same company that makes WinDVD), but
the website says: "LinDVD, InterVideo's Linux software DVD player, is
currently available only to manufacturers for evaluation and
integration." (It also looks like the page that is on, here: http://
www.intervideo.com/jsp/LinDVD.jsp is quite out of date.)

So the probles remain: there is noone to pay royalties to for legal
DVD playback on Linux, you cannot pay a royalty to make violating the
GPL legal, etc.

~ian