[TriLUG] This date in history...

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:22:58 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Ian Meyer <ianmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the probles remain: there is noone to pay royalties to for legal
> DVD playback on Linux, you cannot pay a royalty to make violating the
> GPL legal, etc.

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html#id288946

I imagine something like that has happened. I can't find (via google)
the actual explanation for what they've done just yet, but there you
have the blueprint.

But more importantly, what GPL violation(s)? Certainly not media
codecs. You mean the video drivers?

http://slashdot.org/features/00/05/01/0047219.shtml

Just because it has happened before that a closed video driver had
GPL'd code in it doesn't mean that what will ship from Dell with
Ubuntu will violate the GPL. You can bet your @$$ Dell will pick video
cards that play nice with open drivers. They have control of the whole
stack, remember?

Quit using the GPL violation red herring.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
administrator!!! please hope me!