[TriLUG] TriLUG IMAP Server problems (was Re: missing email)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:15:57 EDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
> It should be noted that the list of folders you're subscribed to, is just
> a text file that's kept in the IMAP store, at the location
> {INBOX}/.subscriptions .  Apparrently these files were lost during the
> move to the new server, but I'm not quite sure why.  (Note - just because
> the file appears as a text file to the IMAP client doesn't mean that the
> Cyrus IMAP server actually stores them as a unique file on disk.)

I believe Cyrus stores them in the same place it stores the information
about mailboxes which happens to not be in the mailstore directories.
The mailstore directories were all copied over, but when I tried to copy
over the metainformation about everyone mailboxes I got segfaults.
Apparently there was something different enough about the installation
that just copying that information over didn't work.  However, so that
people didn't lose their mailboxes, I did manage to copy over the
mailboxes.db file and run recovery on it.  This restored the information
about everyone's mailbox's existence, but any other meta data such
as subscriptions must be stored in a different file.  The seen/not-seen
status of a message was also probably stored in another file like that too.

So, the short story is,

1. All messages were safely copied over.
2. All records of a mailbox's existence were safely transferred over.
3. All other meta-information (subscriptions, seen/not-seen, etc...) were lost.

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com