[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:54:23 EDT 2007

I've seen write-ups on this several times while going to college here - both
in Elon and other college towns.

Bicycle Laws of North Carolina

In North Carolina, the bicycle has the legal status of a vehicle. This means
that bicyclists have full rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are
subject to the regulations governing the operation of a motor vehicle. North
Carolina traffic laws require bicyclists to:

   - Ride on the right in the same direction as other traffic
   - Obey all traffic signs and signals
   - Use hand signals to communicate intended movements
   - Equip their bicycles with a front lamp visible from 300 feet and a
   rear reflector that is visible from a distance of 200 feet when riding at
   night.

There is no law that requires bicyclists to ride single file, nor is there a
law that gives cyclists the right to ride two or more abreast. It is
important to ride responsibly and courteously, so that cars may pass safely.

20-140. Reckless Driving

(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular
area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights
or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving. (b) Any person who
drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due
caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger
or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless
driving.

(b) Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum
speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru
traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the
highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in
the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.

http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/laws/resources/BikePedLawsGuidebook-Part-1.pdf

http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/laws/laws_intro.html

WMM

On 5/22/07, Lee <elfick at mac.com> wrote:

> Do you have a citation for this statement?
> -Lee
>
> On May 22, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Warren Myers wrote:
>
> > btw - you're supposed to be as far to the right in the lane (or on the
> > shoulder) as is possible - getting hit while intentionally riding
> > not as far
> > right as you can in the lane goes on the accident report as your
> > fault, not
> > the driver's.
> >
> > WMM

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2