[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue May 22 17:01:46 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 12:54, J.C. Jones wrote:
> All,
>
> I was under the impression the bicyclists had the same freedom as
> regular motorists, but the following says otherwise:
>
> Excerpt from:
> http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/laws/resources/BikePedLawsGuidebook-Pa
>rt-1.pdf
>
> When riding on a roadway, a bicyclist must ride in the same direction as
> other traffic. Also, the bicyclist must travel in the right-hand lane
> and should ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge ofthe
> highway.

Ahhh, that wording makes all the difference in the world: "As practicable!"

I don't know what they considered "practicable", but I've always considered it
a little more than a door length out from parked cars, and front tire at
least 18 inches from the curb (more if the curb has one of those "deathtrap"
sunken areas between the road and the curb. I miss parallel sewer gratings by
at least a foot, and pull out early to do so. Same if the road is narrowing.

I doubt there are too many judges who expect bike riders to ride 6" from
cardoors or from the curb.

Nobody has a right to obstruct traffic -- neither a bicycle nor a Corvette
going 15 in a 35mph street. Both will be cited (I got nailed for obstruction
of traffic roller skating in Venice California :-).

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/