[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

tomed at bellsouth.net tomed at bellsouth.net
Wed May 23 07:56:46 EDT 2007

With all the talk of blood and guts, I thought I'd propose the following
for those thinking of trying a bicycle commute.

Don't start with a commute. Start with something less ambitious, but
just as useful.

I hear from time to time that a huge percentage of all trips taken by
automobile are with the driver alone, from the driver's home to a
destination within 2 miles.

So think of your home as the center of a circle with a 2 mile
radius. What's within the circle? If you live in a gigantic burb,
maybe only houses. But maybe there are lots of destinations.

Groceries, hardware, dentist, doctor, favorite bar, Trilug
meetings.

This type of trip can actually be faster and more convenient on a bike,
especially if parking is an issue.

With a minimal outlay, you can haul groceries and other stuff. I suggest
using the bike you probably already have. Put a rack on the back, and
get 2 shopping panniers (basically boxes with hooks on the side.)
Nashbar.com has nice shopping panniers at about $20.00 each. If you
need to buy a rack as well, your total outlay will be under $60.00
Also, perhaps, an inexpensive cable lock that will fit around light
poles, etc, since most places don't have bike racks.

Plan your routes to your favorite destinations carefully. Don't worry
about using the most direct route. Go with a longer route if it's more
comfortable and bike friendly.

Turn it all into a game, a what-can-I-do-with-my-bike sort of game.
Similar to the what-can-I-do-with-Linux game.

If you start using your bike regularly, and it works for you, that
would be the time to start planning commute strategies.

Tom Ed