[TriLUG] Data manipulation over Samba

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Wed May 23 08:07:19 EDT 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions.  As it happens, I was able to present a
strong case to our Solaris box monkey and convince him that Python is
not a communist revolutionary tool and should be installed somewhere
upstream.  Instead of this:

ATABeast Array >>fiber>> Sun 450's >>NFS>> Sun 440's >>NFS>> Project
Server >>Samba>> my desktop

I now have this:

ATABeast Array >>fiber>> Sun 450's >>NFS>> Sun 440's

Processing time per image went from ~25 minutes/image to ~15
seconds/image.  A 100X improvement!  God, it's nice to work with someone
who can recognize a good business case.  Total processing time for this
collection went from 6.7 days to ~7 hours.  Nice.

On another note, I apologize for not being able to reply to my own
thread.  I've since stopped using digest emails for this list, though
the traffic is high, so that I can reply to threads.  That whole thing
kind of sucks.  I assume everyone else is doing individual emails, right?

Thanks again,
Jim

---Jim Tuttle