[TriLUG] an actual Linux question

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed May 23 11:07:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:54:09AM -0400, James Olin Oden wrote:
> You should be able to get the source for the original package and buil
> against the latest apache.  Apache in etch may have changed, but there
> probably are newer sources that build against the new apache.  This is
> a general answer comming from an rpm guy would normally say "go get
> the old or newer srpm for this and rebuild", but even though your in
> Debian land, its likely to hold true.

Add a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list like:
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main

Then you can say:
apt-get source libapache2-mod-auth-mysql

This will grab the debian files (.tar.gz, .patch, and .dsc) used to build it
from testing.  You now have a couple of options for building.

The one I'll recommend is to use a package called 'pbuilder'.  Once
installed, you'll do something like:

pbuilder create

This creates a clean build environment that subsequent package builds will
use.  Then:

pbuilder build something.dsc

This will extract that build environ, chroot into it, check all your deps,
-grab the needed dev packages, and build the package.  The result will be in
/var/cache/pbuilder/result.

Daniel Chen turned me on to the pbuilder solution, so if I miseed something,
hopefully he can correct me.

The other option is to invoke dpkg-buildpackage (part of dpkg-deb) directly,
but this requires you to manually grab all the -dev packages into your live
system.

Good luck!

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5