[TriLUG] an actual Linux question

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:29:07 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

>  > You should be able to get the source ...
>
> (James, you could have just shouted over the wall).
Ahh, but others would not have benefited.

> Since this is a Debian system, I'd like to stick to the Debian Way (tm),
> if at all possible.  If it comes down to recompiling apache modules, I'm
> just gonna load Feisty instead.
Sorry, but compiling source code is just as much as part of Debian
culture as it is RPM based distro culture.  Debian folks build
packages from pristine sources and so do RPM folks (even though RPM
folks like to talk about it more).   Its really more an issue of
whether your willing to expend the time and energy to enter the
development side of distrubution mangement or not.  There is no shame
either way, but neither way is either the RPM or Debian way; there
just philosophical choices of how one wishes to manage their systems
and how much pain they are willing to incurr order to do this.

Cheers...james