[TriLUG] Steering@ (was: [OT] At what ratio do OT post become on topic?)

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu May 24 00:16:23 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org> wrote:
> I was actually just wanting to ask steering@ if it was okay to
> suggest we end the toll road thread. I didn't know about the web page
> (being an e-maily sort of guy) so I'm okay using it in the future...

> On May 23, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> > I'm just one vote on the SC, so no promises... but I'd argue for
> > restoring steering at ...

The locking down of steering@ was the result of many discussions, both
inside and outside the Steering Committee, and was phased in.
Steering@ was originally unmoderated, then moderated, and later locked
down.  As one might guess, steering@ receives much more spam than
legitimate mail.  This isn't the best use of volunteer time, IMHO.

However, the web form was really created to handle outside requests.
Sponsorship/speaker offers, requests from recruiters for circulation
of jobs, etc; messages from people who aren't interested in joining
the mailing lists.

The web form should be a last resort for TriLUG members.  Andrew,
Cristobal, Phil, Stan and I  are generally available via the mailing
lists and regular email.  Of course, the TriLUG discussion list is a
great place for this kind of discussion because everyone can get
involved, but no member should feel that they need to go to the web
form to get a hold of us.  This applies in limited fashion to #trilug
on IRC as well.

As for the 540 thread, everyone should, at the very least, familiarize
themselves with mailing list ettiquette and spin off threads where
appropriate.  I encourage everyone to discuss topics relevant to
TriLUG or to Linux, and to find the delete key when necessary.

--
Matt Frye