[TriLUG] The direction of Trilug

J.C. Jones jonesjc at intrex.net
Fri May 25 08:25:30 EDT 2007

My few pennies worth for the discussion.

I have been doing Linux things for about 5 years. I don't consider
myself to be an expert or a newbie. I am somewhere in between, with a
desire to learn both basic Linux stuff and more advanced topics such as
the presentations that are provided at the Trilug meetings.

I have hoped for such things as installfests, solutionfests ( a lab type
meeting with some more advanced linux users helping with problems
associated with Linux in a hands on fashion ), but I would not want the
regular meetings to be used for that purpose.

It would be nice if several meetings per year would be set aside for
beginning linux user's learning. Topics such as command line stuff,
basic shell scripting, neat linux tricks, hacking knoppix, creating your
own specialized distribution, etc...

Another for the wish list.--- At the beginning of each meeting, a 5
minute talk about what's available for Trilug members on the website,
email, broadcast of the meetings ( below ), IRC channel ( below ) and
any other features that are not obvious to the newer members of Trilug.
( TRILUG 101 )

I have clipped items from several emails to make comments about:

Kevin Otte: "We're using Asterisk to both record and "broadcast" the
meetings.  Since it's a phone system, you have to "dial-in" as opposed
to clicking a Shoutcast style link, but the facilities are already there.

The instructions are at:
http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20060306/040980.html

This URL is also stored as the 'voip' factoid in the bot.  If anyone
would like to test their setup well in advance of a meeting, let me know
so we can work something out."

An example of what's going on at Trilug that's not been emphasized at
the meetings. I have been going to the Trilug meetings for over a year
now. I knew that you were recording, but didn't have any idea that you
could actually listen via VOIP during the meeting.

Magnus: "A lot was discussed on IRC today and I think it was very
productive. "

So there is more than one discussion group associated with Trilug? Where
do you get information about this one???

Thanks for reading.

Possibly more pennies later :-)

jcj

--