[TriLUG] The Direction of TriLUG

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu May 24 15:34:32 EDT 2007

Matt Frye wrote:
> I'd like to open a discussion about the direction of TriLUG.  There's
> obviously concern that TriLUG is becoming more internalized,  and
> that's something I want to fix.  I'm sure there are many other
> concerns, but I need your help.  I recognize that there are many, many
> people who have great ideas, but don't have time to be on the SC
> proper.  In that interest, I'd like to form an advisory committee to
> bridge the gap between the SC and the membership.  Start by responding
> constructively to this thread.  We'll go from there.
>
> Let's all work together to make TriLUG better.

The one thing I keep hearing, and I agree with, is the need for more
"hands on"
events.  Whether we call it an InstallFest, SolutionFest, HackAThon, or
whatever,
I agree that we should try for some events that include an opportunity
to sit down
in front of a machine and do something.

If we could find a way to resurrect Tri-LUG classes, that would be great.

Some "beginner friendly" or "fundamentals" topics for upcoming
presentations might be nice.  How
about something basic, and fundamental, like "how to setup an e-mail
infrastructure
with Linux, Postfix, Mailman, Spamassassin, and Cyrus?"   And start from
a box
with none of those things installed, and run through installing and
configuring them
to provide a basic, functional email infrastructure...  This as opposed
to something
like "Advanced Postfix scripting and DNS hacks" (or whatever).

For those Trilugers who write code, maybe a regularly scheduled "hack
night?"
Pick a pub or somewhere with wifi and suds, and just have a bunch of
people get
together to hack on, whatever.  Similar to what the Rub Brigade guys do.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas...

TTYL

Phil

--