[TriLUG] The Direction of TriLUG

Israel J. Pattison pattison at usa.com
Fri May 25 09:45:27 EDT 2007

RE: Membership involvement

Long post, here's the summary:  TriLUG is hot, tasty goodness.  Is TriLUG's
level of membership involvement really a problem?  I argue "No," based on
the type of organization and the attributes of the membership.  I disapprove
when someone's suggestion is returned to that person as a fulfillment
request.  Finally, I argue that the SC could improve follow-up and
follow-through when members make suggestions for presentations or activities
including, perhaps, a standardized form for collecting suggestions.

---

First, let me say that I sincerely appreciate the members of TriLUG who step
up to leadership and execution.  I have enjoyed all of my time in TriLUG,
and the following is not meant to distract from that experience in any way.

Every organization I have ever been a member of has this "problem" and every
organization I have ever been a member of has a perpetual bellyache
regarding this "problem".

Why do "the willing" always have the same expectation for everyone else as
they do for themselves?  Not everyone is a leader.  Not everyone has
organizational skills.  Note everyone is a presenter.  Not everyone is
committed to group.  I'm guessing that in any given large group only 5% of
the members of that group will have all of the necessary attributes to fill
any particular role within that group.

I strongly dislike people asking me for my ( opinion | suggestion | comment
| response ) only to have the person turn my response around and say, "So
when are you going to do it?"  I'm not.  Period.  I am making a request, not
an offer.  I'm willing to support someone who can fill my request.   Need
some cash?  Need a ride?  ...borrow some equipment?  ...trade some email?
I'll do what I can, but I'm asking because for something because
self-service is not an option.

Is this unfair to "the willing"?  Yes, no question about it.  Will some get
burned out from always being "the willing"?  Yes.  Will the group lose good
people because they're always called upon to carry the torch?  Yes.  It's
the nature of any voluntary organization like TriLUG.  But some folks know
how to pace themselves and do not become burned out.  Some people know how
to say "No!" and they do not become burned out.  A new folks with big hearts
come into the organization each year.

Is membership involvement a "problem"?  I don't think so.  I think TriLUG's
level of membership involvement is a characteristic of the type of
organization TriLUG has become.

On the other hand, I perceive (and I may be wrong) that ideas for activities
and presentations don't always receive the 1) Follow-up and 2)
Follow-through that they deserve.  I have made suggestions for presentations
or activities, and the person receiving the idea was always very positive.
I never remember anyone making a note of the suggestion, contacting me with
a few days regarding the idea, or asking what I needed to proceed. (My
faulty memory, most likely).

Here are my suggestions:  write the idea down immediately (ball it up and
throw it away later, maybe), schedule a follow-up phone call or email within
ten days, and find out what the person needs (equipment, presentation
partner, time) to make a successful presentation.  Perhaps, the SC could
standardize this.  Maybe make a form for persons to fill out when they want
to make a presentation or activity suggestion.  Include the person's name,
contact information and information on what equipment, network, brainpower,
etc. is necessary to make it happen.

Israel