[TriLUG] marginally OT: Some bandwidth and DoS questions

Matt Nash mattnash at intrex.net
Tue May 29 13:14:17 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I am involved in evaluating a lawsuit brought against a web hosting
provider by a former client, and some questions have arisen that I don't
know the answer to.  I hope some of the networking gurus here can help
me out:

Bandwidth
-For a DSL connection with 768 down and 384 up, if you are consuming all
of the upstream bandwidth, does that mean you have no available
downstream bandwidth?
-For a T-1 with a nominal speed of 1.5 Mbps, is 1.5 the total available
bandwidth for upstream and downstream, with the entire pipe
theoretically available for unidirectional traffic (i.e. 1.5 Mbps down,
0 Mbps up)?

DoS
-Have you ever heard of anyone (ab)using wget to accomplish a deliberate
non-distributed DoS attack?
-How much traffic/how many requests per second would be required to
effectively DoS a 768/384 DSL connection?
-Could this be done with wget?
-Is there any resource on the internet which outlines how much data a
computer with a given processor is capable of putting on a network
interface?

wget
-Have you ever heard of anyone using wget to back up entire websites?
-Would using this method on a PHP-based website actually accomplish a
backup?  It seems to me that it would only gather the generated HTML and
Javascript.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Matt Nash