[TriLUG] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu May 31 17:24:00 EDT 2007

Not many stores do this anymore because it turns out they don't exactly
have the right to coerce you to do this.  But TigerDirect is one of
those stores that still has a security goon at the door to check
receipts against what is in your bag to make sure you're not stealing.

What most people don't know, including the people checking the bags,
your compliance is not required.  The moment you paid for your goods,
they became yours.  They no more have the right to inspect your bag now
than they would to turn out your pockets.

So I picked up some networking components that I needed for the house.
I had to explicitly ask for a bag because none was provided.  When the
cashier put my stuff in the bag, he then handed me the receipt and told
me I would need to have Helga the Security Goon from Bulgaria check my
receipt and bag on the way out.  I smiled and thanked him as I tossed
the receipt back into the bag.

Sure enough on the way out, Helga tries to block my path, telling me
"Sir, I have to check your bag."

I smile and politely tell her "No, thank you. Have a nice day."

I think she was completely bewildered by this response.  But only for a
moment.

I never stopped moving.  But I walked nice and slow so they could
understand what I was telling them.

Then the cashier and security goon started shouting at me.  "SIR!  You
MUST stop!  We MUST check your receipt!"

I continued to smile, and briefly explained "No, you misunderstand, this
is mine.  You don't need to check it."

"Sir!   STOP!"

Still smiling, I firmly but politely invited them to try stopping me,
slowing down a bit more to give them a chance to try.

When neither of them made a move to stop me, I smiled at both and said
"Great seeing you.  I'll see you again next time!" and walked out the
door.  They didn't follow.

Folks, next time some security goon wants to make you comply with a
corporate security policy that violates YOUR civil liberties, stop and
remember: you don't have to comply.

I'm sure Helga is a nice sweet lady when she's not wearing her faux cop
uniform and faux badge, and I don't mean this to be a personal attack on
her, but I really hope she is unemployed soon and that positino is NEVER
backfilled.

BTW - This same approach also works well at Wal*mart and Best Buy.