[TriLUG] [WAY OT] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu May 31 20:42:33 EDT 2007

Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> This particular libertarian does see it that way.  I do find it
> offensive when stores treat me like a criminal, and I do make it a
> habit to keep walking if my purchase sets off the little alarm at the
> door.  I figure if they really think I'm stealing something, one of
> them can chase me down and tackle me, then we'll deal with the
> fallout, whatever that may be.  But fundamentally, I believe that if
> I grow to despise their policies enough, I always have the option to
> take my business elsewhere.

Actually I hadn't even mentioned the other attempted violation because
it was so small and so easily averted without drama.

They wanted my phone number at the register and I said again "No,
thanks."  The cashier insisted, stating the register would not complete
the transaction without my phone number.  Again, "no, thank you."

Magically the cashier found a way to make the transaction go through
without my phone number.

<sarcasm> Cashier: "Ohhhhh this is a *UNIX* system.  I know this!"
</sarcasm>