[TriLUG] [WAY OT] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu May 31 21:12:01 EDT 2007

Brian Henning wrote:
> Wouldn't setting off the alarm then give them "probable cause" to legally
> detain you?

That varies from state to state.  I'm not sure about NC.  In many
states, they have to actually SEE you conceal their merchandise in your
clothes/handbag/whatever and still can't detain you until you try to
walk out of the store with it.

> I don't think anyone bats an eyelash when airport security
> personnel pull people aside when the metal detectors go beep.

Totally different issue from shoplifting.  Then again, I've opted out of
commercial flights in direct response to their invasive security
screenings and lack of civilian oversight.