[TriLUG] SSH on Fedora 7 question

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Tue Jun 5 09:21:26 EDT 2007

I use ssh to login to my machine at home.  I've just updated my work machine to
Fedora 7, and when I try to connect I get the following warning:

RSA host key for IP address 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' not in list of known hosts.
(ip obfuscated)

If I connect from other machines I have here (not F7), I don't get the
warning.  I can still connect ok, but it's disturbing to get the warning each
time.

Running in debug mode, it looks like it is finding the key but still
complaining?

debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/bdaniels/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/bdaniels/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
debug1: checking without port identifier
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/bdaniels/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 187
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/bdaniels/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
debug1: Host 'xxxxxx.dyndns.org' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/bdaniels/.ssh/known_hosts:187
RSA host key for IP address 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' not in list of known hosts.
debug1: found matching key w/out port
debug2: bits set: 521/1024

I run ssh on a non-standard port, so it looks like that might be bothering it?
But it hasn't been a problem before...

Connecting again gets the same message, so it's not adding the host like it used
to.  Is there a new switch I need to set in ssh.config?

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net