[TriLUG] OT: TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY NATIONWIDE

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Jun 11 15:28:56 EDT 2007

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> I had that convo with them today about hosting my webpage at home, and
> he told me:
>
> "You can host it at home, but in some areas we block port 80. If that's
> the case, you can host it on a different port".
>
> I got the text transcript e-mailed to me from RR ...to keep as proof if
> they try to come after me!
>
> Now that they've given me the thumbs up, time for some LAMP + MediaWiki!

I'm using Earthlink which is weird.  I get install & bill from
Time-Warner but it's a different logical network.  Different IP range,
different servers, etc.  The difference being that Earthlink is very
unambiguous about allowing customers to run "hobby servers" on
residential service.

The only port that is blocked for me is OUTBOUND, port 25.  I must have
my Postfix server use Earthlink relays for outbound mail.  I can live
with that, since their relays have been good.  I've not had any issues
with inbound ports being blocked.

I *have* noticed recently changes in my torrent performance where it
looks strongly like they've been tweaking traffic shaping on me.