[TriLUG] opening port 6667 on Feisty

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 19 11:30:29 EDT 2007

> is there a different firewall to look at?

Don't muddy the waters by looking at the firewall just yet.

The Linux firewalls that I am aware of are all basically front-ends to
the kernel iptables system.  Personally, I am a big fan of shorewall.
But in the past, I also ran a home-grown shell script that pretty much
did the same thing.

You can check to see if an iptables firewall is enabled by doing "sudo
iptables -L -n -v".  If you get a lot of output, then the firewall is
enabled.  If you get the following, then the firewall is not enabled:

alan at laptop:~$ sudo iptables -L -n -v
Password:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
alan at laptop:~$

Alan

.