[TriLUG] OT: solar wireless mesh router

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 15:48:52 EDT 2007

Here is another option in the Durham area: http://www.clearwire.com/maps/durham.htm

Kevin

----- Original Message ----
From: Magnus <magnus at trilug.org>
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:09:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] OT: solar wireless mesh router

Tim Jowers wrote:
>    I'm with you. I have a good rooftop (HOA withstanding) with excellent
> coverage of about 100 homes. I live off of Lake Pine in Kildaire Farm. Maybe
> we can find enough people to justify a T1 somewhere and roll this out
> legally. I guess the legal problems are what killed boingo although I never
> followed them closely. What prototocol? 802.11n?

A T1 only provides 1.54Mbps.  The cost for this is going to be hundreds
of dollars per month.  Once you start splitting it, it's so slow by
modern standards it can barely be called "broadband" service.

Even a T3 spreads thin very quickly these days.

To really make a go of it will require serious capital and a commitment
to providing a compelling alternative to the big broadband ISP's.

I believe the model for the future is not to own both the last mile
network and the internet connection at the same time.  Establish a very
fast last-mile network, and allow ISP's to offer exit points from it.
The last mile network should not have exclusive arrangements with ISP's.

In this day and age I think that when new communities are constructed,
fiber should be going to each house right next to the power, water, and
sewage lines.

Allowing the ISP to own the last mile is stifling competition.  The two
services need to be divorced before we will see major leaps forward.