[TriLUG] invitation to Triangle Open Source Lab - Thursday 28 June 2007 at 7 PM

Kevin Flanagan flanagannc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:29:13 EDT 2007

I'd suggest that the topics be more grand, then broken down into sections so
that in 3-4 meetings you'd get a fully functional thing.  Just saying LAMP
doesn't say much, so here's my suggestion.

Inprotect <http://sourceforge.net/projects/inprotect/>:

   PHP, Perl and MySql based web interface for the Nessus security scanner
and Nmap port scanner. The system presents scan results via a Email
notification, a HTML interface, or exported to a PDF file.

I'd break this into several steps

- Base OS install
- Nessus install
- LAMP config
- Inprotect install/config
- Vulnerability scanning using this platform

I'd be able to help with this, as I've set it up at work.

This toolset is a vulnerability scanning platform, web based, with a MySQL
database behind it.

In my mind it's much more instructive to end up with a fully functional
application, perhaps one that folks will build at home/work, keep using and
build on.

That's my $02

Kevin