[TriLUG] Fwd: mail relay through trilug.org?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:41:00 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
> A while back, I tried relaying mail to mail.trilug.org:465, but at the
> time, I did not have TLS support in postfix.  So of course that didn't
> work -- I was cramming plain text down a TLS/SSL socket.

TLS support won't help you on port 465.  What you need is always
on SSL support (which is basically the same thing, but TLS, in my
mind in this case at least, indicates that it doesn't start out encrypted
by default, but rather becomes encrypted as soon as you say "STARTTLS".
(Ok, I know that's a hair splitting definition, but you gotta have some
way to look at it.)

You could accomplish this very easily using non TLS/SSL enabled Postfix
by use of stunnel.  STunnel will create the encrypted channel for you and
then you just direct postfix to use it.  Voila!

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace