[TriLUG] looking for wifi client gui

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:12:32 EDT 2007

On 7/13/07, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> I've found wifi-radar (which I haven't yet installed). I've
> also seen mention of ubuntu's network-admin, but I haven't
> found the source to download yet.

Perhaps you mean NetworkManager?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/net/network-manager

If you have certain wireless cards (ipw comes to mind) things may
"just work" under Ubuntu on a lot of networks. UNC's wireless is
currently a pain. Basically it depends. YMMV. It depends on your card,
the network you're trying to associate with, the weather... it
depends. Good luck.

I hope other people have better advice. I'm especially interested in
reports of working wifi on the UNC campus that involve NetworkManager
and/or Ubuntu. I currently have a ThinkPad T41 with an internal airo
card that does not work with UNC + NetworkManager. I've tried other
laptops that have Atheros cards--same story.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
Love as a predictor of technological success: http://tinyurl.com/2em6zs