[TriLUG] wireless configuration problem

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jul 23 09:32:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Glenn Hennessee wrote:

> Thanks. I tried the modules thing without any luck. The
> orinoco modules load but nothing shows up on ifconfig.

or iwconfig?

if not you might be SOL with this card.

> I don't have any other pcmcia cards to test with.

:-( every triluger should have a bucket full of them.

> One thing that is odd, neither of the lights on the
> card are lit up.

would expect not if there's no driver loaded.

> lsmod shows that pcmcia_core is loaded so I assume that
> means it is loading the pcmcia module and cardctl does
> show the presence of the card.

it just detected the hardware, next thing is to go find the
driver for it.

> I bought the computer used and the card came with it. Are
> you referring to a TL-WN510G or the TL-WN551G?  or does it
> matter which one? They're both $24.99.

I have the TL-WN510G. I don't remember why I bought it
rather than any of the other cards, except that the decision
was obvious at the time.

Hmm, looking on google... the 551G is the pci version for
desktop machines. You have a laptop with a pcmcia/cardbus
slot? in which case you want the 510G

Joe