[TriLUG] SSH Brew app?

Josh Vickery josh at vickeryj.com
Sun Jul 29 12:01:13 EDT 2007

Are you able to load arbitrary Brew apps on your phone?  I started a
new job which includes writing apps for cell phones a few months ago,
and we have yet to tackle Brew for a number of reasons.  One of them
(though not a real stumbling block, just a pain), is that as we
understand the development process for Verizon, we would have to send
our development phones in to have them "development enabled" which
just means that we could load apps onto them with a data cable.  Once
we had an application developed, we can send it to Verizon and they
could make it available for over the air install to their handsets.

Another route that you could consider would be a Blackberry 8803.
>From what our contacts from RIM have told us, they don't do anything
special to their Verizon handsets, which would mean that they are
capable of having just about any MIDP application run on them
including MidpSSH: http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/index.php  On the other
hand, Verizon tells me that having a Blackberry on their network
requires a $40/month add-on for data access.

If you are able to load non Verizon provided apps on your phone, I
would be most interested to hear about it.

Josh