[TriLUG] RHCE

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 2 02:16:45 EDT 2007

Nick Goldwater wrote:
> I too have no formal education and certs hold no special meaning for me except in this case where my company has requested that I get it. The way I look at it is that it is an opportunity to learn. However I'm sure I don't know the 'RedHat' way of doing things especially since I have been using Debian for the bulk of my Linux experience. I am concerned about the pass/fail rate especially as it relates to the amount of money they want for the 'training'+test. I am thinking that the end of August may be premature to take the test as I really do not want to pay for it more than once as the it will then be on my dime. I am interested in feedback as to what the testing is really like? How could I best prepare myself for a distribution specific exam? Also is there anyone else looking at taking the exam in the Sept. Oct. time frame that would like to get together and study for it in a structured way? Lastly is there any alternative in addition to the LPI?
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

It's been a while since I did my RHCE and it has changed a bit since
then, but my biggest recommendation for passing the RHCE is to read all
of the documentation provided by Red Hat very carefully.  Read and
understand all of their guides.  This will give you some really good
hints on the "Red Hat way" of doing things.

The RHCE is a well-constructed test in that there are some things it
asks for that you won't be able to do in the alotted time if you don't
have experience doing this.  Experience doesn't have to be fully
"real-world" - it could be you setting it up at home just to learn - but
my thinking is you really have to DO things instead of just read about
them.  Otherwise you won't be FAST enough at executing the given
scenario, if you have to spend too much time reading the documentation.
  And since you probably won't do everything right the first time you
try at home, you'll get a lot of good experience in troubleshooting,
which is a core component of the RHCE.

I didn't find that my RHCE particularly had a big impact on my job
seeking, but I've only changed jobs once since I got it.  In that case,
my relevant experience in other areas was much more important than
certifications, so I don't think it mattered.  That's not to say it
wouldn't make a difference for others.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy Portzer
former RHCE (expired with the release of RHEL 5.0 since I got it on RHL 9)