[TriLUG] looking for advice for physically small PC for router, dhcpd/named, firewall

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu Aug 2 22:13:19 EDT 2007

Jason Faulkner wrote:
> Just a note -- in our usage here, the soekris have bogged down and
> died somewhere in the realm of 10-15mbit/sec using OpenBSD. Not to
> mention that unless you do use a r/o OS (like monowall), CF cards die
> quickly.

Something is fishy there.  There is probably a lot of room for
optimization in your firewall rule set.  I've had older versions of
OpenBSD (less efficient pf) on lesser hardware doing better throughput
than that.  You ought to be able to squeeze a lot more out of the rule set.

Also for a firewall there is no reason you can't mount your OpenBSD
filesystems as read-only and extend the life of your CF media.