[TriLUG] European Ethernet Cables for Laptop Travelers?

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:39:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

Maybe for a specific university (I know the one I went to had their
own homegrown network, down to having their own physical layer[!!]).
But all the commercial ethernet installs I've seen have just been
regular ethernet - It's an IEEE std. so it's international.

I'd check on the specific university just to be sure they aren't doing
anything weird, but other than that you should be OK - power shouldn't
be an issue for a laptop either (other than having to have an adapter
for the wall plug) as the power bricks typically take a good range of
voltage and frequencies (e.g. this one takes 100-240v and 50-60Hz
which is fine for Europe).

David.