[TriLUG] looking for advice for physically small PC for router, dhcpd/named, firewall

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 3 18:25:24 EDT 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Greg Brown wrote:

> I can't say how well it works being an access point as I
> have only used m0n0 as a firewall/router.  What I can say
> about m0n0 and Soekris is I have NEVER had a hardware or
> software failure that has required human intervention
> (i.e. manual reboot).  So far, knock wood, they have all
> been up and running, churning along without fail for over
> three years.

I don't know FreeBSD and I have a linux setup ready to go in
whatever hardware I pick. Is linux on the Soekris a bad
idea, or is it just going to be a lot of work to setup a
linux (ro) system when it already exists in FreeBSD?

I looked at DSL and the mini-itx machines - they all have
video cards, parallel ports... I don't need any of that. I'm
also realising that fanless is almost required (noise,
reliability). The Soekris units are looking the best so far.

How x86 compatible are the Soekris Goedes? eg if I have a 2G
CF card which boots on a pentium machine, can I put it in
the Soekris and expect it to boot (ie can I use a pentium
as the development machine)?

Joe