[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Mon Aug 13 11:00:00 EDT 2007

I think a lot of people have a knee-jerk reaction to having rules
written out, especially if those rules address what many would consider
assumed or unspoken codes of order.  Generally it's one of "don't tell
me what to do!" or "I'm a grown-up; I know how to behave!"  I can't
claim that those thoughts didn't pass through my mind fleetingly as I
reviewed the proposed CoC.

However, even as well-adjusted grown-ups, we all tend to have the
occasional moment of passion, where we allow our feelings to overtake
our logic and diplomacy, and end up turning to inflammatory words and
personal attacks.  Sometimes those passionate moments last for a single
message; other times they may last for an entire thread.  I believe
having a CoC, while it *should* all represent things we take for
granted, could be a useful tool (when wielded respectfully) to snuff a
bit of the flames that will inevitably flare up from time to time.

Then again, I think you're all a bunch of Snivelling Little Rat-faced
Gits [1].

:-)

Cheers,
~B