[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Mon Aug 13 11:01:46 EDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On 8/13/07, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
> > I tend to side with those who think that we should be grown-ups and not
> > need to have proper social behavior dictated to us.  I don't want to sound
> > like a troll (does that mean I do...?) but do we really want to turn
> > TriLUG into a police state?
>
> You're right.  We *should* be grown-ups and not have to have
> "proper social behavior dictated to us", but that hasn't worked
> recently.  No one is talking about turning TriLUG into a police
> state.  The suggestion is simply that we grow up.  And, since
> we can't seem to do it on our own, here's a policy.

It's failed?  except for what mattfrye (on channel) termed a couple of
recent flamewars on the list (which I mostly deleted....wasn't hard
really, but I digress), and what AC Oliver termed a couple high profile
unsubscriptions, I don't see that what we're doing is failing.  Even then
I think that it's more a problem of "someone got their feelings hurt so
they quit", which IMNSHO is on their shoulders, not on the shoulders of
the group as a whole.

> > If the objective is to keep "notable" members from unsubscribing, then we
> > may never succeed.  As I understand it, the recent unsubscriptions
> > (JasonF, for example) were from people who didn't like what they perceived
> > as off-topic list traffic, not from people being abusive, untoward, or
> > otherwise socially disrespectful.  In other words, nothing in the proposed
> > CoC addresses what I understand to be the main reason for the
> > unsubscriptions.
>
> I disagree that this is simply to keep people of unsubscribing.  The
> code of conduct is meant to apply to all interactions within TriLUG.

AC Oliver, on the list, said it was due to high-profile members (who?
that wasn't stated) unsubscribing.  If it's not, then maybe he shouldn't
have said so...