[TriLUG] trilug-ontopic@ proposal Re: Why don't people come to TriLUG meetings

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Thu Aug 16 18:01:59 EDT 2007

Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Scott Lambdin wrote:
>> If I am in need of assistance and I want to ask all my trilug comfrere about
>> something, do I have to choose the nice people or the wild people?
>>
> This is why I'm against fragmenting into 2 lists :)

Unfortunately, I think it has come to this.  We have some folks who are
like "I dun wanna grow up" and others who are "Oh my eyes my eyes" and
some folks are "humm, I can't refer my mom to that list because she
won't have the patience to distill all the off topic posts and will just
freak at certain other posts."  Ultimately "against" in such a case
should be "will not subscribe" and not "you can't have it because I
don't like it" IMO.

I favor keeping trilug@ a jungle (albeit still regulate "ridiculously
out there" potential liability posts) and have a trilug-ontopic.

1. The only vote will be with your feet but we should have a set of
moderators who volunteer and are then selected by the list members (say
3 of them).
2. A set of rules for ontopic/out-of-bounds be selected
3. Some "objectives" or "quantifiable results" for success selected (to
avoid a dead and potentially spam gathering list) [like we must have 3
moderators at all time or it shuts, and at least say 20 subscribers]

Those who want a "kinder gentler" LUG will subscribe.  Those who do
not...will not.

-Andy
--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite