[TriLUG] Upgrading network: new switch or multi-homed server?

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Fri Aug 17 11:02:02 EDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Lee <elfick at mac.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'd like to upgrade my network to gigE but I would only have 3
> machines wired. I was wondering if it would be more efficient (both
> in terms of performance and $) to get a new switch or to multi-home
> my server.

You still need at least a gigE hub/repeater unless you're talking
crossover-cables and extra network ports.  You can get a (purportedly)
Gigabit switch with around 8 ports for around $60-$100.  Some of the
5-ports are down around $30-40.  Since your uplink is probably not
anywhere near that speed you can keep your extant router, just plug
everything through the switch and it should all operate at the rated
speed internally.  Of course then you have to make sure you have GigE
nics and worry about whether you really need those cat6 cables, both
of which will dent your wallet further if you need to upgrade them.
But even these cheap switches can either operate each port at an
independant speed or have a group of 10/100 and a group of 10/100/1000
ports, so you can still plug slow stuff in safely.

You could route through the server if you buy it enough network ports
and use appropriate cabling, but at these switch prices, why add the
overhead?  Particularly if you still need the Router/WAP in the mix to
provide over-the-air access - let it do the NAT and routing and keep
it simple.