[TriLUG] IM server solution for MS Messenger clients

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:12:42 EDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:
> I would think the argument for in house chat would be you can secure it
> better, enforce encryption, and message confidential information because
> it stays on your network.

That was the tack I took. The response I got:

(1) Who's listening to us?
(2) If someone were listening, what could they possibly get that would
be damaging?
(3) If it's really valuable and you're worried about it leaking, can't
you use your in-house email?

I think in-house chat is a solution in search of a problem unless
you're a multi-site company dealing with HIPAA compliance or similar.
Don't get me wrong: I think jabber is the bees knees, but I'm not
going to waste breath trying to convince people at my one office that
we should have a jabber server for our one office and that when
talking to each other we should always use only that jabber server.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
celebrating 15 years of sunsite/metalab/ibiblio: