[TriLUG] IM server solution for MS Messenger clients

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Thu Sep 6 12:36:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, September 5, 2007 3:12 pm, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:
>> I would think the argument for in house chat would be you can secure it
>> better, enforce encryption, and message confidential information because
>> it stays on your network.
> That was the tack I took. The response I got:
> (1) Who's listening to us?

Did you point out that they had absolutely NO WAY of knowing?

Unless of course UNC has a complete IDS/IPS system in place alongside security
kernel controls, antivirus, a CIRT response team, etc...

> (2) If someone were listening, what could they possibly get that would
> be damaging?

BWAAAAA HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAH!

> (3) If it's really valuable and you're worried about it leaking, can't
> you use your in-house email?

Eh, that's probably a good point.

I'm kinda surprised people working for iBiblio would want to continue to
depend on external, for-profit entities for IM though. On top of the security
advantages of running an in-house IM system, you also get the advantage of not
losing internal communications during Internet outages, or outages on a
providers network. See also: Skype and RIM.