[TriLUG] Your input on new build: Home File Server

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:24:28 EDT 2007

 Hey guys & gals. I am building a new file/media server at home over the
next week or so. It won't be
too fancy, but it needs to allow for decent streaming of video and audio. I
know this isn't that tough to do,
as my current [debian based] server does this, but that's all it's ever
done. I'd like to have
a web page/catalog on this version, and install the XSPF music player, as
well as Gallery. I'd also like
to access the server remotely. As far as video goes, I don't need it to
stream video to TV, or play TV,
just hold/catalog my files. I'm interested in what TriLUG'ers would do to
tweak something like this. Planning
to start from scratch on this one, and maybe use a different distro this
time.

 Questions are:

>What distro would YOU use?
[[yeah, I know, standard lame question, but I kind of want to hack something
new right now]]

>I do use DynDNS for another box, software & hardware firewall, but would
you feel safe with
your personal file server on the web?

>Best thing to use to catalog my files, database-wise? [500GB]

>Anything else that you would add to your media server project?

Thanks,

Carl