[TriLUG] Powerline - Ethernet over AC lines & Linux

K4HM k4hm at arrl.net
Sun Sep 23 13:48:18 EDT 2007

John,

I think what you initially asked about was actually Homeplug, which is
entirely different from BPL.

"Homeplug" devices have been around for years and a search on Google will
find lots of information.  I only knew one person who tried Homeplug and he
seemed satisfied with it.  I have not used it myself.

They use your LOCAL house wiring to send an RF signal between plug-in
adapters within your home.  The RF signals are not on the same frequencies
as the WIFI wireless adapters that are popular today so they are not
susceptible to being hacked by someone parked in front of your house with a
wireless laptop.  They also require drivers loaded on the PC to use the
adapter which of course that also means your buddy can't come over and share
your network.

I believe they are also limited to a theoretical speed of a little over
10Mbps which is probably sufficient for home use unless you are trying to
clone your hard drive to another system.