[TriLUG] OT Humor (at least to me)

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 16:58:27 EDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 16:49, Tim Jowers wrote:
> Just curious if anyone ever hires new grads? With the huge shortage in IT
> workers according to the government maybe new grads are finding jobs?

In my experience, new grads typically end up going to the large corporations.

Having been a new grad a while back, I realized that when I got out of school
that I really didn't know how to do much of anything. All school really
prepared me for was HOW to learn, and problem solve. My first job was at a
large Electric Utility IT department. They set me up in a group where
everyone had at least 10 years experience. I was able to leverage their
experience to help me get up to speed on my new job. This was their
methodology, all new grads were teamed with groups of mentors who got them up
to speed. This seemed to work very well from my experience and from others
who went through the same process.

In my case, running a small business, I do not have the resources in place to
afford the time to hire someone who does not have a wealth of experience. I
do not have the mentoring facilities, or the time to provide this mentoring
to new grads. Therefore I end up hiring seasoned senior employees only.

Ron