[TriLUG] OT: Windows firewall software

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 17:13:49 EDT 2007

Core Force R0.95 should do the trick (http://force.coresecurity.com/). It's annoying as hell to setup but works very well once you train it properly:

CORE FORCE R0.95 provides new features and updates based on user
feedback. Programs can now be moved across security profiles while they
run. Two new default security profiles have been added to run trusted
and untrusted programs in generic sandboxes.

    This new release of CORE FORCE includes the following new features:

New security profiles for Trusted Programs and Untrusted Programs.Support to change the security profile for programs while they are running.New Run with security profile command to launch a program in a specific security sandbox.Alert notifications have been overhauled to provide more accurate information and options to the user (more information here).
These new features have been designed to work together in common scenarios:

If you want to install a new program and avoid restrictions for the installer, you can launch it in the new Trusted Programs sandbox (or move it to that security profile when it's running).If you download a suspicious program from the web and want to check it out, you can run it in the Untrusted Programs
sandbox where it won't be able to write or delete stuff in your
computer and communicate with remote computers without your knowledge.
The ability to change a program's security profile while it's running it's available from the process viewer in the Activity Monitor
option in the UI and also in the updated alert notifications (for more
information about changes to the alert notifications in CORE FORCE
R0.95 please go here).