[TriLUG] OT: Windows firewall software

Jim Mars userjames at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:34:35 EDT 2007

>    Just wondering if anyone would recommend an alternate to ZoneAlarm for
>    Windows firewalling (given that Windows Firewall is right out).  I used to
>    swear by ZoneAlarm, but now it's gotten so bloated, it's the slowest-loading
>    thing on my system short of Norton AntiVirus.  Plus of course it's limited
>    in its ways.  I'd really love to have something that gives me iptables-like
>    control within Windows.  Any suggestions?
>
>    Thanks,
>    ~Brian

I had trouble with ZoneAlarm and Kerio Personal Firewall being glitchy
and eating all my CPU cycles, so I eventually settled on Comodo
Firewall because it was high-ranked for security.  It can block
traffic based on the application, via its Application Monitor, or
based on network IP and port rules, via its Network Monitor.  Right
now it's using 9 MB of RAM, but it has never caused any problems for
me.

James