[TriLUG] Selecting a stable video card

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 20:11:16 EDT 2007

On 10/28/07, Neil L. Little <nllittle at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> I am building my first dedicated Linux system and am trying to determine
> what video card chipset to go with. This system will not be a gaming machine
> but I do expect to play a few from time to time.
> <snip>
Neil,
   I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro on Ubuntu 7.10 (Intel Pent D). I
was contemplating the pain/nightmare of adding the fglrx drivers when
I first started testing 7.10 (at Tribe 4 version) and was blown away
by the "one click" to add restricted drivers - they work like a champ
on bzflag (although I do have the desktop "visual effects" junk turned
OFF). This may not be as fast as a good Nvida card but the ease of
driver installation makes me a happy camper.

john mitchell