[TriLUG] Red Hat System Admin class

Marty Ferguson martyferg at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 07:47:45 EST 2007

<UNSNIP>

---- Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
> Marty Ferguson wrote:
> > I beg to differ, Nick Goldwater.
> >
> > Having taught the Red Hat courses and worked as an RHCX
> > (Red Hat Certified Examiner) I can assure you that Red Hat Software
> > has a mutual interest with all successful examinees (i.e., RHCE's that
> > that earned their cert) to maintain confidentiality about the content of
> > the examination.  No instructor is permitted to "teach the test" and each
> > successful RHCE candidate can be assured that the certificate they
> > hold is proof of their knowledge and aptitude.
> >
> > If the contents of the exam were openly discussed and posted on blogs,
> > the value of the certification would become significantly debased  through
> > the result of awarding the RHCE to (some percentage of) examinees who
> > invested no more effort in training and test preparation than to rehearse
> > the solutions to the hands-on portion of the exam.
> >
> > There is no doubt in my mind that the requirement of confidentiality is of
> > utmost importance in maintaining the credibility of the certification and the
> > social contract between RHCE's, employers, and Red Hat Software.
> >

> Marty,
>
> I think you're being overly defensive.  He didn't say that the ability
> to shield from criticism is the *sole* reason for the NDA.  He just said
> that was an aspect of the NDA.  He is certainly correct on that point,
> but that doesn't mean the NDA doesn't have plenty of other reasons for
> existing.  I agree with you that the NDA exists for legitimate reasons,
> but it doesn't make Nick's comment incorrect.
>
> I am also wondering why you seem to be speaking on Red Hat's behalf.
> Unless you've received appropriate training from their PR department,
> I'm not sure they'd appreciate that.  For example, I don't believe the
> name of the company is Red Hat Software.  The official corporate name in
> the US is "Red Hat, Inc." according to a few sources I checked.  The
> word "Software" is not part of it.
>
> --Jeremy

An opinion and seemingly debatable observation, presupposing that a corporate PR department would influence my free speech.  I'm neither a paid shill nor an uncompensated evangelist.  I'll just maintain my first amendment rights in this instance, without regard to whomever as a corporate person is trading on whatever  exchange under whichever ticker symbol.