[TriLUG] Red Hat System Admin class

Marty Ferguson martyferg at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 09:26:21 EST 2007

>  They want to know
> which journals I've published in and how much grant money
> I've brought in.

Is it possible for these to be objectively measured and tested?
My answer is probably so.  I would posit that metrics could be developed whereby a candidate  would  be afforded two hours to write four brief non-complex grant proposals, and an additional two hours to author  a short article for a peer-reviewed journal.  Those work products would be assessed for correctness, completeness, and compliance with specifically stated objectives.  This testing would certify a set of minimum  acceptable standards for the candidate to be considered a subject matter expert in their area of concentration.

If you can accept this proposal, then you may also accept that plagiarism of successful candidates' work products would dilute the reliability of the testing mechanism.

> But your statements are in the guise
> of talking about the best training for the student, when in
> fact you're talking about the best outcome for RH.

No, my position is couched firmly in the aspect of maintaining strict confidentiality with respect to the contents of the exam, and in the necessity of the Non-Disclosure Agreement.